World Asthma day 2013 – Monday 7thMay
The World Asthma Foundation is holding World Asthma Day on Monday 7th May 2013 to help raise global awareness and help treatment for the condition. The annual event is organised by the Global Initiative for Asthma with activities and events held all over the world.
About World Asthma Foundation (WAF)
The charity was founded by a group of professionals who suffer from the Asthma to help raise awareness and improve treatment of the condition. The main aims of the WAF is to provide educational resources for medical professionals, patients/sufferers of Asthma and the general public about clinical advances, treatment and management of Asthma disorders.
Key goals for WAF:
– Increase Global awareness for Healthy Breathing
– Educate on the issues revolving around Asthma
– Provide resources for effective treatment and identify potential issues
– To provide advocacy globally for sufferers
About Asthma in the UK
Currently there are around 5.4 million people in the UK suffering from Asthma which is around 1 in 5 households that it affects. The leading charity for the condition in the UK is Asthma UK which aims to provide a cure for the condition through world leading research, award winning information services and life changing campaigns.
Some key facts about Asthma in the UK:
– Around 5.4 million people are currently receiving treatment for Asthma in the UK, which includes 1.1 million children (1 in 11) and 4.3 million adults (1 in 12)
– It is estimated that 75% of Asthma related hospital admissions are avoidable and an incredible 90% of deaths from Asthma are preventable
– Prevalence of the condition is thought to have levelled out in the UK since the late 90’s, however we still have some of the highest rates in Europe
– In 2010 there were 1,143 Asthma related deaths in the UK (16 of which were children under 14)
The cost of Asthma in the UK:
– The NHS spends around £1 billion each year treating and caring for Asthma patients
– In 2008/09 there were around 1.1 million working days lost because of lung or breathing problems
Asthma and Life Insurance
What happens if I have Asthma and want to obtain Life Insurance?
Generally Asthma Life Insurance is obtainable dependant on the severity and treatment of the condition. Asthma is a chronic condition therefore there are some restrictions that can come with cover however those can vary from one provider to another.
Ratings and restrictions vary from provider to provider so it is important to apply to an insurance company that is sympathetic to the condition.
What happens if I have been declined for Asthma Life Insurance?
It is entirely possible that an individual suffering from the affects of Asthma may have been declined cover in the past. This is due to the fact that some insurance providers underwriting criteria is more strict than others for Asthma and therefore they would decline where others may accept.
It is important to speak to a specialist company such as The Insurance Surgery who has experience and knowledge dealing with the condition. Simply by dealing with the condition, a specialist would know which providers to apply to who may offer the best premiums for your individual circumstances.
What information do I need?
To obtain an accurate Asthma Life Insurance quotation The Insurance Surgery will need the following information:
– Date of diagnosis (month/year)
– Date of last attack (month/year)
– Duration of symptoms
– Time off work because of the condition
– Ever been prescribed steroid tablets
About The Insurance Surgery
The Insurance Surgery is a leading insurance specialist for individuals who suffer from a pre-existing medical condition or who have a high risk occupation/hobby. Our team of experts have many years experience and knowledge within the specialist insurance market to be able to direct you towards the best providers and premiums for your individual circumstances.
Asthma Life Insurance case studies
For examples of previous clients who have obtained Asthma Life Insurance from The Insurance Surgery visit our Asthma case studies page
The Insurance Surgery on Review Centre
Check out some of our reviews on The Review Centre from previous clients and see what people think about using our services.