National Epilepsy Week & Epilepsy Life Insurance Epilepsy Action is the UK’s leading Epilepsy charity and is holding its annual National Epilepsy Week from the 19th to the 25th May ’13. The aim of this week is to help raise awareness for people living with Epilepsy as well as running a number of fundraising events throughout the UK.
About Epilepsy Action
Epilepsy Action was founded in 1950 as the British Epilepsy Association (BEA) following the death of one of it’s pioneers, Joseph Tylor Fox. The charity was launched to help raise awareness of the condition and to improve public perceptions which were not good at the time, as well as trying to improving the lives of those affected by Epilepsy. The charity has always tried to represent the interests of people living with Epilepsy, their families and carers. Over the years, Epilepsy Action has been responsible for a number of major developments and improvements towards the condition such as: – the law
– public awareness
– social attitudes
– medical treatment and practice
– scientific knowledge Epilepsy Action has a comprehensive website, various social media pages and numerous other useful resources including its Epilepsy Helpline. Over the years the charity has helped improve the lives of millions of individuals and will continue to do so. For more information about Epilepsy Action follow the link below and visit their website. Website: Epilepsy Action
What is Epilepsy?
In the UK today there are over 600,000 individuals currently diagnosed with Epilepsy. Our brains have some kind of electrical activity that happens all the time believe it or not. In the case of someone with Epilepsy, there are sudden bursts of electrical activity and this is usually referred to as an Epileptic activity. The affects of this sudden burst of activity causes the brain to get mixed up and normal messages are disrupted, this then results in what in known as an Epileptic seizure. A seizure can vary dramatically from one person to another and will depend on where the sudden burst of activity occurs and how widely it spreads throughout the brain.
Facts about Epilepsy
– Epilepsy can affect anyone and at any stage in life
– Epilepsy is a neurological condition
– There are around 600,000 people with Epilepsy in the UK today
– Around 87 people are diagnosed with Epilepsy in the UK every day
– There are 40 different types of seizure and 1 person can have more than 1 type
– The majority of individuals who develop Epilepsy before age 20 will grow out of it in adult life
On its own Epilepsy is something that most life insurance providers would consider and usually terms can be very favourable. Decisions can vary significantly from one provider to another which is why it is important to speak to a specialist such as The Insurance Surgery. Epilepsy life insurance
premiums have reduced drastically over the past 5 to 10 years due to improved treatments, better understanding and improvements in insurance underwriting. It is entirely possible in the modern life insurance market that an individual with Epilepsy could obtain standard rates for a milder version of the condition, however this is dependant on a number of factors. For some examples of premiums visit The Insurance Surgery Epilepsy case studies
What information will I need to disclose?
Life insurance providers will need a number of details about your Epilepsy to be able to underwrite your application fully, such as: – Date of diagnosis
– When was your last seizure/symptoms
– Type of seizures (i.e. Grand Mal or Petit Mal)
– Number of seizures per year
– Do you hold a driving license This and other information will mean that your application should be assessed accurately and your premium should reflect your individual circumstances.
Can I get Epilepsy Critical Illness Cover?
It is possible for a person with Epilepsy to obtain Critical Illness Cover to provide protection for your family and loved ones if you were to be diagnosed with a serious illness. This will also depend very much on the severity of the condition and a number of other factors such as other medical conditions. Our expert consultants will be able to inform you whether this is possible for you after we gather your medical information.
Why should I speak to The Insurance Surgery?
The Insurance Surgery is a leading protection specialist for individuals with pre-existing medical conditions such as Epilepsy. Our team of expert consultants will help guide you towards the best providers and premiums for you and your circumstances.
To speak to one of our expert consultants simply complete our enquiry form or contact us on freephone 0800 083 2829.