The Insurance Surgery is proud to offer a full range of Legal Services through our partner MPG Legal. As part of our Life Insurance and Mortgage sales process MPG Legal can offer Wills, Trusts and Power of Attorney services to our clients to ensure that they have covered everything.
*Around 42% of UK adults do not have a Will
When you think about your life insurance, mortgage, and other assets, would you like to guarantee that your family, friends and loved ones receive what is rightfully theirs? Without a proper Will in place, the rules of intestacy apply which might not follow your wishes and can cause unnecessary complications.
A Will is especially important for anyone who has children under the age of 18 and wants to make sure that they have legal Guardians and to secure their future Welfare.
Must I have a Will?
If you die without having a proper Will in place under the intestacy rules the Law will decide who inherits your property and deal with your estate. The results can be dramatic, such as:
- If you are not married or in a civil partnership, under the laws of intestacy your partner will not automatically inherit your estate, even though they may have been dependent on you, leaving them with little alternative but to make an application to the court for financial provision.
- Even if you are married or in a civil partnership, the value of your assets may be such that your spouse or partner will not necessarily inherit the whole of your estate, which could give rise to financial problems.
- If you should have a 'second family', having married and had children and then divorced and remarried, your second family may take priority under the intestacy rules, leaving your first family without adequate provision.
Make your wishes heard
MPG Legal offers a professional Will writing (drafting) service to make sure that your final wishes are properly recorded in legal form. The things that you can decide are:
- Executors - Who deals with your estate
- Guardians - Who will be responsible for looking after your children
- Legacies - Leaving cash sums
- Specific gifts - For your loved ones or charities
- Trusts - To benefit certain beneficiaries for instance vulnerable family members
- Property - Who can occupy them and how to deal with them
- Residue - What happens to the rest of your estate
- Funeral arrangements - Who organises your funeral
- Inheritance Tax - What to do if IHT applies
What are the legal requirements?
The signing of a Will carries particular legal requirements to ensure that it is valid. It is important that you take legal advice around these issues to make sure that the process has been completed properly and according to legal requirements.
MPG Legal offer a great service at an extremely competitive price which is £100 plus VAT for a straightforward single Will and £125 plus VAT for straightforward Wills for couples (Mirror Wills). There is also an option to make payments over a set period to spread the payments which are extremely rare. Additional charges may apply to more complex Will services such as the creation of Trusts or Inheritance Tax Planning.
MoneyPlus Group is one of the UK's largest debt management companies and in 2013 they acquired Richardson Mail Solicitors which became MoneyPlus Legal Limited, trading as MPG Legal. Please note that services offered by MPG Legal are governed by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) affording you certain regulatory protections such as the requirement to carry professional indemnity insurance.
*Opinium research carried out an online poll of 2001 UK adults in September 2013. Results have been weighted to nationally representative criteria.